Hello everyone
I know it’s been ages since I’ve written – my apologies. My access to internet is very limited – I only have access at work (and very little time for personal internet time).
Gee, so much to catch up on I guess. Well, I better get started then…
I finished my photography course – and I really enjoyed it. I learn’t so much about taking photos (nevermind the joy of discovering a new function on my camera each week). I was in class with some interesting people and it became what I did on a Thursday night. Since it’s finished now I’ve had some more time to spend on my oil-paintings. I finished another painting for Brad’s aunt & uncle and you can see it on my painting blogsite: http://laurakirstenpaintings.blogspot.com/
Last month (May) was a month of weddings & anniversaries. First on the 14th April Mandy & Wesley tied the knot. It was an afternoon wedding and the reception was held at the Kenilworth Racecourse. It was a reunion of Taiwan friends and we all had so much fun chatting, laughing and dancing the night away. It was Brad & me, Leanne & Pieter, Dawn, Astrid & Ben, Karin & Daniel. Astrid caught the boquet – and it was her wedding the very next Saturday! Saturday 21 April was the big day Astrid & Ben. They had a morning wedding. The ceremony was in a beautiful Anglican church in the Southern suburbs and then the reception was held at the Silvermist restaurant – up against the mountain with the most spectacular view. We had a nice long celebration and only left at 5pm when the venue officially closed for the day. Both couples looked really happy and both brides looked absolutely beautiful.
I know it’s been ages since I’ve written – my apologies. My access to internet is very limited – I only have access at work (and very little time for personal internet time).
Gee, so much to catch up on I guess. Well, I better get started then…
I finished my photography course – and I really enjoyed it. I learn’t so much about taking photos (nevermind the joy of discovering a new function on my camera each week). I was in class with some interesting people and it became what I did on a Thursday night. Since it’s finished now I’ve had some more time to spend on my oil-paintings. I finished another painting for Brad’s aunt & uncle and you can see it on my painting blogsite: http://laurakirstenpaintings.blogspot.com/
Last month (May) was a month of weddings & anniversaries. First on the 14th April Mandy & Wesley tied the knot. It was an afternoon wedding and the reception was held at the Kenilworth Racecourse. It was a reunion of Taiwan friends and we all had so much fun chatting, laughing and dancing the night away. It was Brad & me, Leanne & Pieter, Dawn, Astrid & Ben, Karin & Daniel. Astrid caught the boquet – and it was her wedding the very next Saturday! Saturday 21 April was the big day Astrid & Ben. They had a morning wedding. The ceremony was in a beautiful Anglican church in the Southern suburbs and then the reception was held at the Silvermist restaurant – up against the mountain with the most spectacular view. We had a nice long celebration and only left at 5pm when the venue officially closed for the day. Both couples looked really happy and both brides looked absolutely beautiful.
Mr & Mrs Van der Merwe (Wesley & Mandy) 14 April 2007

Mr & Mrs Bredenkamp (Ben & Astrid) 21 April 2007
The next weekend Brad & I celebrated our 1st Anniversary J Yip, one year already! Monday 30th April was the special day. Friday the 27th April and Tuesday 1 May are both public holidays. So I put in leave for the Monday and we had a glorious long weekend together. We had originally hoped to get away for the long weekend but things didn’t work out. I was overjoyed however at being able to spend so much uninterrupted time with my gorgeous hubby. I suggested that each year we take turns at planning the anniversary – that way there isn’t pressure on both of us each year. Since Brad organised the honeymoon last year, I said I’d organise this year. We went out to the movies (saw ‘Hot Fuzz’), had a delicious dinner at Typhoon (our favourite restaurant that serves incredible Thai food), went to the Decorex exhibition at the International Convention Centre (home décor etc) and went out for coffee at the V&A Waterfront. The highlight however was Monday. I planned a surprise getaway for the evening. A colleague of mine lives on a farm about an hour away, near the Hex River Valley area, in and amongst the winefarms. She has a little cottage on the outskirts of the farm and she said we were welcome to use it. It was perfect. An opportunity to get away and be far from the phone calls and the emails etc. The wine farm is set between vineyards and under the mountain. Idyllic indeed.
Brad collecting firewood for the snuggle indoor fireplace
Brad has resigned from his job. Unfortunately working for an NGO can be really stressful at times – re the financial situation of the organisation and the insecurity that accompanies that. Brad had to make a decision to move on. It was a decision that was not made lightly and was only made after lots of prayer and guidance from people we trust. We do believe that the Lord has something better planned for him and that it will involve a career and not just a job. Finding work is proving to be a testing experience but we will keep on keeping on. The same colleague who offered us the cottage on her farm got her husband connected with Brad and as it turns out he needed someone to assist him at his factory which grows hydroponics chicory. We are blessed as this has been an opportunity for Brad to be busy and earn some extra money.
I’m keeping busy at my job and loving it each day. We recently got corporate clothing – we each got to choose 4 business suits from Woolworths. It’s not a uniform as we don’t all have the same suits and we don’t have to wear the same ones on the same day – but rather a ‘corporate look’ that we’re going for.
This weekend Brad is off with some guys from the church to help fix roofs of some homes in an informal settlement in Klipheuwel. It’s an annual undertaking by the church just before the winter to help the people before the winter rains come. It’s really great to be able to bless other people.
Well, not too much else to add at this point. My lunch break is over and I better get back to work now.
Keep well and keep in touch!
Laura

No comments:
Post a Comment